Tuesday Zedlines, February 18th

 

Queensland community television station QCTV is still unable to broadcast, following last week’s floods.

The station, formerly known as Briz31, shut down last week when flood waters rose into the station’s West End headquarters.

Key power supply features have been damaged, although the broadcast machinery was not. No return date has been given.

Sydney University Vice-Chancellor Mike Spence has engaged two separate web security organizations to deal with a breach of the university’s web site last week.

The site was infiltrated a total of three times, with disparaging comments left on the front page. A spokesperson for the university said the matter had not been reported to the police.

Although an investigation is planned, no one has yet been named as a possible source for the breaches.

News South Wales Treasury officials will today face questioning over the sale the state’s electricity assets.

Premier Kristina Keneally has said she believes the sale was fair on taxpayers.

Eight power company directors who resigned before the deal went through will be questioned later in the month.

Premier Anna Bligh is enjoying a new popularity following her handling of the Queensland flood crisis.

The Premier, who the week before was facing a seventy four per cent disapproval rating, has polled eighty three per cent approval for her handling of recent flooding.

Leader of the Opposition John-Paul Langbroek has also praised worker efforts for assisting flood clearing.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard has maintained that deals made regarding the National Broadband Network will be exempt from Freedom of Information laws.

As a joint public and privately-owned company, NBN Co does not fall into the jurisdiction of the FOI, which only covers government held documents.

A Greens spokesman has criticised the move, saying twenty seven point five billion of the thirty six billion dollar program comes from tax payer money.

An Adelaide court has ruled in favour of Native Title claimants in a case for the exploration of mineral resources at Lake Torrens.

The region, located in the north of South Australia, was requested by mining company Straits Exploration for drilling after negotiations with the traditional owners failed.

The site was found to have a genuine significance to the people and was protected by the court.

Coal prices are expected to face increases of up to sixty six per cent after mines in Bowen Basin were flooded last week.

The Central Queensland mines provide the world with roughly half its coking coal, which is used in the production of steel.

Prices are expected to reach five hundred US dollars a tonne, with the previous record being three hundred dollars a tonne.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s